Austin Demolition: Facts Every Homeowner Should Know About Demolition

Posted: April 22, 2014 in Austin Demolition Services
Tags: , , , ,

Austin demolition

If you’re remodeling your home, you’ll probably need the services of a demolition contractor at some point or another. Before you hire anyone, here are a few things you should know…

Explosive demolition only accounts for 2% of demolition jobs.

When you think of demolition, you probably think of explosive demolition jobs – the ones where huge buildings are brought down in clouds of dust by dynamite. However, these account for less than 2% of all demolition jobs. The other 98% are selective demolition jobs.

Demolition and construction produce 1/3 of the country’s waste.

Construction waste, which includes demolition waste, creates about 33% of all the waste produced in America annually. Demolition waste accounts for about 80 million tons of this waste.

Most demolition waste is recyclable, but most never sees a recycling bin.

Most demolition waste consists of wood, metal, cardboard, paper, plastic, concrete, gravel, drywall, roofing, glass and carpeting – all of which can be recycled! In fact, up to 90% of demolition waste is recyclable, but only 30% of demolition waste gets recycled.

Demolition can be dangerous.

You can find thousands upon thousands of articles online with step by step instructions for how to complete a DIY demolition job, but there’s a reason demolition is better left to the professionals. In untrained hands, demolition tools can be dangerous. Last year, over 15,000 people were admitted to an emergency room from an injury implemented by a saw, 4,000 were admitted because of an injury sustained by a hammer, and almost 40,000 were injured by a ladder!

Not all demolition contractors are created equal.

Unfortunately, there are shady demolition contractors out there.  Some don’t even carry insurance! Make sure to do your research before you hire anyone. Ask for recommendations from family and friends. Check online reviews. Question the contractor about their insurance, experience, etc. Do whatever you have to do to make sure you’re comfortable with your contractor.

If you have any more questions about demolition or you need the services of an Austin demolition contractor, you can find Dirty Work on Facebook, Twitter or Google+.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s