Austin Demolition: 4 Things You Don’t Know About Demolition

Posted: April 29, 2014 in Austin Demolition Services
Tags: , , , ,

Austin demolition

With over a decade of experience in selective, residential demolition, we know a thing or two about demolition, but did you know these things?

It’s not as explosive as you think.

What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think of demolition? Is it all the clips you’ve seen on the nightly news of enormous skyscrapers being brought down with tons of dynamite? For many people, this is their default definition of demolition. However, explosive demolition makes the nightly news because it’s relatively rare – only 2% of all demolition jobs are explosive. The other 98% are selective projects.

It doesn’t have to be wasteful, but it often is.

Did you know that up to 90% of demolition waste is recyclable? Wood, metal, cardboard, paper, plastic, concrete, gravel, drywall, roofing, glass and carpeting – all are recyclable! Unfortunately, only 30% of demolition contractors actually recycle waste, so as a whole, the industry still has a long way to go.

It’s not a DIY project…

There are thousands of articles online with step by step instructions for how to do demolition yourself. Most of them make it look pretty simple, but selective, residential demolition requires quite a bit of skill, experience and precision. If you’re relying on online instructions, you’ll have no one to ask for help if you run into something you can’t handle. If you make a mistake and have to call a contractor in to fix it, you’ll likely end up spending hundreds or thousands more than you would have if you had called a contractor originally.

Because it’s dangerous.

As we mentioned above, we advise against amateurs attempting DIY demolition jobs because fixing a mistake is expensive, but more importantly, we advise against it because demolition is dangerous. Demolition tools are especially dangerous in untrained hands. Last year, over 15,000 people were admitted to an emergency room from an injury implemented by a saw, 4,000 were admitted because of an injury sustained by a hammer and almost 40,000 were injured by a ladder!

In addition, demolition jobs produce a lot of dust. If you don’t know how to contain the dust or don’t have the appropriate equipment, you could be exposed to an unhealthy amount of dust and exposure to dust can cause serious damage to your lungs.

If you’re not sure that you have the knowledge to safely and efficiently handle your demolition job, you should consider hiring an Austin demolition contractor, like Dirty Work, to help you out. You can find us on Facebook, Twitter or Google+.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s